U.K. Apprenticeship (MAP)
|Visit MAP London to learn more!|
London is perhaps the most diverse city on the planet. Having such an array of languages, beliefs, and ethnicities makes it a strategic focus for missionaries desiring to reach post-modern Europeans as well as the hundreds of thousands of people who have migrated to London from countries with little or no gospel witness. It's an ideal location for apprentices to serve with an on-going ministry and at the same time be immersed in the religions and cultures surrounding them.
The London Missionary Apprenticeship Program (MAP) exists to mentor and disciple the next generation of young people who will further the expansion of Jesus’ global kingdom. The MAP staff that will be leading you do not have all the answers, nor are they “expert” missionaries. Rather, they are needy for the Gospel and dependent on grace just as you. It is their vision to walk with you as you encounter new cultures, expand your vision of the church, learn to share the Gospel to other cultures, and even as you encounter bumps (sometimes mountains!) of your own sin lying in the road.
Loving people cross-culturally is a way of answering Jesus’ call to lay down your life for him. You’ll learn this practically and in community by being placed on a specific World Harvest Mission team. You will live among South Asian immigrants in Southall or Harrow, or among emerging generation Europeans in London’s inner-city, post-modern Camden. You will work in these places with a local church plant while considering your own gifts and calling to missions. Thus, MAP offers the opportunity to train in missions and cross-cultural ministry through daily hands-on ministry to people of other faiths and (sometimes new) traditions.
- Servants who are becoming Christ-dependent, Spirit-empowered, and passionate for the Kingdom of God - at home and abroad
- An incarnational community where the gospel is lived out as an authentic witness to what we say we believe about forgiveness, unity, and redemption
- Ordinary individuals who aren't afraid to ask the question, "What does it look like to lay down my life?"
- Believers who set aside their own cultural trappings in order to see the beauty of God as expressed in other cultures
- People living out their calling to BE as well as their calling to DO, who are beginning to understand who God has created and is redeeming them to be
- London becoming a city where the Gospel is known and treasured among all its peoples
- Teaching: Curriculum includes: study of various cultures' history and literature, evangelism, prayer, theology, Missiology, discipling others, biblical masculinity and femininity in life and ministry, and personality and spiritual gifts assessment and exploration.
- Experience: Engage in the life and ministry of on-going church planting efforts including assisting short term teams in evangelistic outreach, supporting the youth outreach/kids club of a local church, volunteering in a charity shop or other mercy ministry, and sharing the Gospel cross-culturally through various structured and unstructured relational evangelistic opportunities.
- Discipleship: Someone walking with you, providing perspective on personally applying the gospel in your daily life and ministry.
- Leadership: Several months of modeled team leadership followed by opportunities for first-hand experience leading a team.